Job posting: Communications and Programs Intern
The National Farmers Union-Ontario is looking for a qualified intern who is passionate about local and sustainable food and farming systems. The primary duties of the Communications and Programs intern will fall into four categories; likely tasks are noted below but exact work will depend on the aptitudes of the successful candidate.
This position is funded by Agriculture and Agri-food Canada through the Agricultural Youth Green Jobs Initiative. Candidates must
- be 30 years old or younger at the start of the project;
- have graduated from a Canadian post-secondary institution;
- not have participated in any other Youth Employment Strategy programs (ie, Career Focus); and
- be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident.
- General Communications
- Engage with farmers, eaters, government, and food system stakeholders through social media, electronic communication, and face-to-face conversation;
- Design beautiful and incisive monthly e-newsletters with relevant information for farmers, industry and eater members using Mailchimp;
- Create engaging, relevant and knowledgeable social media channels and content;
- Assist in raising awareness about sustainable farming issues and programs to improve the economic viability of rural and farming issues;
- Give and gather feedback on the success of outreach and messaging;
- Research and compile available resources to enhance web presence;
- Write and develop farmer feature stories;
- Support the development of media releases and monitor relevant media hits;
- Distill information from government and organizational policy statements into digestible and engaging pieces;
- Event Planning and Coordination
- Support the planning of events such as the NFU-O annual convention;
- Assist with logistics and speaker outreach;
- Reach out to potential sponsors;
- Membership Development and Outreach
- Assist in the identification of and outreach to new members;
- Support the development and implementation of new member benefits;
- Administration and Fundraising Assistance
- Assist with internal systems development (e.g. cloud filing structures and database of funding opportunities);
- Identify and track potential fundraising opportunities.
The Ideal Candidate has some combination of the following skill sets:
- Is highly motivated: can work independently and in a team;
- Is passionate and knowledgeable about local food systems and agriculture;
- Has strong written communications skills and an eye for design;
- Has experience with planning complex events and soliciting event sponsorship;
- Has experience with WordPress and/or other website development platforms;
- Has experience working with Mailchimp or similar newsletter applications;
- Has experience managing multiple social media channels simultaneously including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram (familiarity with Tweetdeck, Hootsuite or other management tools an asset);
- Has a strong affinity for spreadsheets, databases, and systems;
- Experience with cloud file storage and sharing systems;
- Experience with graphic design an asset (Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator, Canvas etc.);
- Experience with communications strategy, marketing and designing campaigns an asset;
- Experience working or volunteering in a non-profit organization;
- French language skills an asset.
- Experience and knowledge of communications and/or marketing (preferred).
- Excellent time management skills
Hours & Rate of Pay:
This is a eight-month, full-time contract for 35 hours per week with anticipated start in September 2017. Pay is $15/hour with the location to be decided.
Send your cover letter detailing how your skills, experience, and education fit with this position, along with your resume, in Word or PDF format to Sarah Bakker, NFU-O General Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Communications and Programs Intern” by Wednesday, June 21 at 5:00 p.m.
Only those applicants to be invited for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please.