At our Annual General Meeting held in Thurlow on November 29, 2012, NFU Local 334 – Hastings, Northumberland Prince Edward Counties, in collaboration with the Prince Edward Convivium of Slow Food, announced a Micro Grant programme. This programme is available to any member of the food producing community. It is not restricted to members of our respective organizations but it is limited to residents of the geographic area served by our organizations. The budget for the programme is $2000.00.
The application process is meant to be simple and is governed by the criteria outlined below. Applicants would be expected to make proposals that are innovative, sustainable, environmentally, and/or socially responsible. Three kinds of initiatives were identified:
- Capital expenditure
- Training and education
- Product development.
Applicants are expected to fill out a written application form that includes:
- an outline of the project or initiative, including the budget
- how the project contributes to the goals of sustainable farming
- how much of the budget is being contributed by the applicant or by other sources
- the amount requested by the applicant and whether they are requesting a loan, a grant or some other form of aid such as a scholarship or bursary
- performance criteria – what criteria will be used to determine if the contribution meets the goals of the program
- a commitment for a final report.
Our motivation is to raise the bar with regard to food production and animal welfare, to help maintain a good living for family farms and to share experiences within the farming community. A successful applicant should be prepared to share the experience, successful or otherwise, with the farming community. We are certainly prepared to work with you and help you in this regard. Contact John Della Bosca at email@example.com or Elly Blanchard at firstname.lastname@example.org from NFU Local 334 or Peter Fleming at email@example.com from Slow Food.