Minutes from October 10, 2017 NFU Local 362
NFU Local 362
October 10th, 2017
7:00 p.m. Red Dot Cafe, 5673 Osgoode Main St, Osgoode
Location: Red Dot Cafe, Osgoode 7 p.m.
Present from executive: Katie Ward, Marlyn O’Connor, Bernard Foley, Katrina Anderson,
Present from members: Jack Hoogenboom, Dick Coote
Katie Ward chaired the meeting
1. Call to order. Katie Ward called the meeting at 7:13 p.m.
2. Approval of agenda as amended – Bernard motioned, Dick seconded. Carried.
3. Approval of September minutes as amended – Marlyn motioned, Jack seconded. Carried.
4. Business arising from minutes – 1) 4 delegates will be sent to Convention – Nicole, Bernard, Jack? Dick? Karen emailed Aric and Phil Mount so they could connect. The Local Food Advocates will have a meeting the Wednesday right before Convention, looking for a local restaurant to host, and they will be looking to reach out to local professionals to join the meeting. They are looking for a local person to represent us – Bernard is interested. 2) Marlyn will reach out to Shelley Spruit to invite her as a guest speaker to our February 6th meeting at the Red Dot Cafe.
5. President’s report – Katie attended a two day meeting put on by Global Affairs Canada looking at gender equality in agriculture in targeting foreign development aid. They are looking for inputs on formulating policy and regulations and increasing women’s representation and governance, as well as community organizing, educating about value added products, all to increase the power of women in the supply chain. Katie helped with the Bring Food Home Conference put on by Sustain Ontario by helping edit two papers on land access that were being presented. Marlyn motioned to accept, Bernard seconded, Carried.
6. Treasurer’s report – There have been no transactions since the last meeting to report. Jack motioned to accept, Dick seconded, Carried.
7. Correspondence – 1) OVFS (Tuesday March 14 – Thursday March 16) – Katie filled out forms for the booth in March – Contract will need to be paid and sent by December, as well as proof of insurance. Marlyn motioned a maximum of $600 to be spent on OVFS booth space, Jack seconded, carried. 2) Bernard attended meeting with South Dundas and they discussed farmers reselling produce from other locations – it is fine as long as the source of the produce is identified. 3) Katrina to send to local members information on Long Sault presentations and article about tax reform proposals
8. New business: Ayla Fenton to be invited as a guest speaker at our November meeting to share a summary of the Via Campesina trip to Portugal.
9. Adjournment at – 9:00 p.m. Marlyn motioned to adjourn.
10. Next Meeting November 14th, 2017 @ 7 p.m., Red Dot Cafe, Osgoode.