Minutes from September 12, 2017 NFU Local 362
NFU Local 362
September 12th, 2017
7:00 p.m. Red Dot Cafe, 5673 Osgoode Main St, Osgoode
Location: Red Dot Cafe, Osgoode 7 p.m.
Present from executive: Marlyn O’Connor, Bernard Foley, Katrina Anderson, Larry Vingerhoeds
Present from members: Jack Hoogenboom
Associate members: Karen Markle, Frank Poulin
Bernard Foley chaired the meeting
1. Call to order. Bernard Foley called the meeting at 7:07 p.m.
2. Approval of agenda – Marlyn motioned, Jack seconded. Carried.
3. Approval of June minutes – Marlyn motioned, Jack seconded. Carried.
4. Business arising from minutes – Delegate request was sent out from Sarah Baker today regarding Convention. Katrina to find out how many delegates we can send and then send request to local members.
5. President’s report – Presented By Bernard. 1) President Steven Byvelds of Dundas Federation of Agriculture wrote Bernard to say Agricultural Advisory Committee was formed and will advise on local agricultural issues. He invited Bernard to be on a committee to speak on behalf of the NFU. We all agreed he would be a great asset. Jack motioned Bernard to represent us, Marlyn seconded. Carried. 2) An email from Aric McBay, asking for help with the NFU Local Foods Advocate Project, looking for suggestions for venue, catering and attendees. The date has been pushed a week or 10 days. Karen will send Phil Mount @ Just Food’ Aric’s email to possibly piggyback on Bring Food Home conference Oct. 26 – 29 at University of Ottawa.
6. Treasurer’s report – $200 cheque sent to Ayla Fenton for Via Campensina trip. $50 to NFU-O sent for Ontario Farmer Advertising. The second payment was deposited to NFU-O for 73 members. Marlyn motioned to accept, seconded by Jack. Carried.
7. New business: Ayla Fenton to be invited as a guest speaker at our next meeting to share a summary of the Via Campesina trip to Portugal. If not the October meeting, the following meeting. Another possible guest speaker Shelley Spruit from “Against the Grain” to speak of value added heritage grains.
8. Adjournment at – 8:25 p.m. Bernard motioned to adjourn.
9. Next Meeting Oct. 10th, 2017 @ Red Dot Cafe, Osgoode.