NFU-O is hiring a Local Food Communications Contractor
The National Farmers Union – Ontario (NFU-O) has received funding to implement a project entitled Building a Network of Local Food Advocates. In this project, we will reach out to influential “local food sympathizers” from a variety communities, to bring them together, and to create connections and materials that will make them effective local food advocates.
The successful applicant will be involved in communicating information regarding various stages of the project both with the NFU-O community, the public at large, and targeted individuals and organizations. Current avenues of communications include a weekly e-newsletter, website, mailings, phone calls, and various social media. As well, he or she will work with the Membership Development Coordinator to create and collate materials specifically for the project and at the community’s request.
Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Engage with farmers, eaters, and food system stakeholders through social media, electronic communication, and face-to-face conversation. Some copywriting.
- Assist with planning and promoting events as part of an outreach project to eaters and farmers.
- Assist in raising awareness about local food, sustainable farming, and programs to improve the economic viability of rural and farming issues.
- Give and gather feedback on the success of outreach and messaging.
- Experience and knowledge of communications and/or marketing.
- Direct experience with WordPress and/or MailChimp an asset.
- Experience working or volunteering in a non-profit organization.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Flexible, skilled in working on multiple projects at a time.
- Excellent time management skills.
- Capacity for independent and self-directed work.
- Interest in community building, environmental sustainability, and/or food security.
- Fluency in written and spoken French.
- Event planning experience.
- Graphic design and multi-media skills.
- Experience in communicating with people from many different backgrounds.
- Valid Ontario driver’s license and regular access to a vehicle.
- Familiarity with food and farming issues.
Hours & Rate of Pay:
This is a part time contract of $15,000 for eight months, starting mid-April with possibility for extension and increased hours in the future. The independent contractor will provide his or her own computer, phone, transportation, and office space.
Send a cover letter detailing how your skills, experience, and education fit with this position, along with your resume, in PDF format to Sarah Bakker, NFU-O General Manager at email@example.com with the subject line “Local Food Communications Application” by Wednesday, April 5 at 5:00 p.m.
About the National Farmers Union – Ontario
The NFU-O works towards the development of economic and social policies that will maintain small and medium sized family farms as the primary food-producers in Ontario and in Canada. The NFU-O believes that agriculture should be economically, socially and environmentally sustainable and should lead to enriched soils, biodiverse natural ecosystems, financially-viable farms, high quality, healthy and safe food for people, thriving rural communities, and a more beautiful countryside.